Thursday, April 14, 2005

my lab log

We started to carry out a mini project worth 30% of an experimental module, ‘experimental molecular and cell biology’…It has been quite slack and draggy first week, as we do a lot of overnight incubation and stuff like that, where we need to come back next time to continue…Well, as the real thing comes, everything seems to fall apart…we squeeze on benches, being poked by pipette tips, run around to get our stuff…as we re the unlucky group sharing lab with another group…
I remember when the first time the lab was crowded, we have little time left as the lab was closing soon, everybody was rushing to finish their own job…well, that day most of us were doin a part where we need to handle five eppendorf tubes at a time…I was so fast that I splashed bacteria culture right on my own face (ya…) when capping a tube, splashed my DNA solution when trying to turn around, even actually poured off my toughly done solution (I straight away have cold sweat as I realize I did something…hai…)… We even redo things because of stupid reasons (don’t wanna talk bout alr…) and whole day in lab was wasted…
After we realized this project is so knotty, we became ji2 zao4 and always in the mood of fucking pek4 cek3…we went to the lab almost everyday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursday, and Fridays, skipped other classes and so on…it was so time consuming…in the end they even open for us on Monday…once, as I opened the centrifuge and found my solution have totally no pellet at all, that moment really feel like…collapsing right away and give up, had enough, give up that stupid module, a 6MC module…that kind of feeling…still remember again and again how group mates discussing saying things like ‘concentration too low’…‘then zen3 me1 ban4?’...‘chong2 zuo4!?’...‘mei2 you3 band…’... ai1 sheng1 tan4 qi4, cui2 tou2 sang4 qi4…kinda of things…how my partner almost crying out but still saying her words in strong…
I actually gave up the passion quite early...one of my friends actually wanted to use one of my digestion samples as she hasn’t got enough. She was so hasten that she accidently caused all my 4 solution plus another 2 solutions of my group mate spilt (ya, all gone) in the ‘Speedvac’ machine…if this were to happen earlier I might have cried, go mad or fainted right away. Well, but I didn’t, the uncomfortable feeling just stuck inside the heart…In fact as the last week approaches, the professor also seems to be giving up and letting us go through shortcuts…
Yesterday I went to do my extract my plasmid after test, the last few steps. My group mates were doing the last step, DNA sequencing preparation...we went ard taking photos, jokes and laughters…well, all the while working with this bunch of ppl have been the most easing thing (;
…actually when I think back calmly, it was such an experience where we only get to learn when mistakes and problems cropped up and stop us, you may know that but it is really not something you can see here or listen in words…you just got to go through it…
hm…maybe what we re in is just dealing with things we cannot see cannot touch maybe can feel…it s just world of unknown, groping…maybe that s what an experiment mean…you have to experiment it…hai…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home